tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gal Shachor <shac...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Installing servlets without the webapps structure
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:09:34 GMT

"Luis R. Alonso" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to install servlets without relying on
> the directory structures used in the webapps tree? To
> be more specific, is it possible to setup my servlets
> so the classes come from TOMCAT_HOME/classes or
> TOMCAT_HOME/libs instead of having to go to
> TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/app/WEB-INF/classes?
>
> In other words, is there a way to add the servlets I've
> written to the default servlets that Tomcat uses?
>
> I'm currently developing using Apache, but I will need
> to transition to IIS.

 The answer is that you can put your servlets in TOMCAT_HOME/classes
yet:

1. You will need the directory structures anyway (even if the dirs are
empty
   because Tomcat looks for these Servlet API2.2 dirs.
2. You will need to configure your servlets by using the default web.xml
file
   available in TOMCAT_HOME/config
3. Auto reload will not work with your servlets.
4. All your JSPs will need to go to the TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/app/ dir.

	Gal Shachor