tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gal Shachor <shac...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IIS and Tomcat with isapi_redirect.dll and HTTPS
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:45:08 GMT

Geoff,

> Hi,
>
> I need to integrate into an existing IIS (v4.0) server.  I have Tomcat
> running on another machine (Solaris).   All servlet/jsp requests are
> therefore forwarded onto this machine.
>
> To test the above, I am simply using the examples that come with
> Tomcat.   The above setup works fine using normal http
> connections.   As soon as I use https connections, however my
> requests to servlets/ and jsp/ just hang, whilst the requests to the
> images/ directory works OK.
>
> Does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix it?   Is it
> something to do with the signing of my java code?

I looked into the log file (the isapi log file) that you sent me
separately
and (I think that I) found the problem.

When you access  https://somehostname:443/examples/jsp Tomcat redirects
you to
http://optimasrv.ct:443/examples/jsp/. Note that the redirection scheme
is http
and not https!!!

Since the server running on port 433 expects SSL the redirection will
fail (hang
as you describe it...).

This probably happens because SSL is not supported yet in Tomcat (as
well as
the isapi_redirector) and so the scheme info is not valid. A simple
workaround
will be to use a URI with a trailing "/", in this case tomcat will not
redirect.

Try to use https://optimasrv.ct:443/examples/jsp/

Even better will be to let IIS serve the static files (explained in the
howto) and
have Tomcat serve only servlets and JSPs.

	Gal Shachor

A quick and