tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Can't get session id in URL with encodeURL
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 17:12:19 GMT
Jason Rumney wrote:

> Darrel Davis <darrel@davisware.net> writes:
>
> > If I create a session and create some links, passing
> > them through enclodeURL, I am unable to pass session
> > information between pages with cookies turned off.
> >
> > The documentation says that if the server determines
> > that the browser won't accept cookies, it puts
> > the sessionid in the URL.  It does not on my system;
> > I just lose the session.
> >
> > Anyone successful with encodeURL?
> >
> > This is Tomcat 3.1 Final/Apache 1.3.9 on Linux.
>
> Does it work with Tomcat standalone (port 8080 in the default configuration)?
>
> I have session tracking working without cookies. I had to add the
> following configuration to Apache's httpd.conf to get it working
> through Apache though:
>
>    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>       RewriteEngine On
>
>       # Force URLs with a jsessionid to go to Tomcat. Necessary because
>       # Apache doesn't recognise that the semi-colon is special.
>       RewriteRule       ^(/.*;jsessionid=.*)$   $1 [T=jserv-servlet]
>    </IfModule>

Thanks Jason!  I have added this bit of wisdom to the Tomcat FAQ-O-MATIC at
<http://jakarta.apache.org>.  Search for the term "URL rewriting" to find this
answer.

Everyone who has answers to common questions like this is encouraged to add them
to the FAQ-O-MATIC system so that our hard-won knowledge can be shared.

> --
> Jason Rumney <jrumney@ipo.att.com>
> AT&T Labs (Redditch, UK)

Craig McClanahan