tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Arion" <ar...@talentinfo.com.hk>
Subject Re: role of JSP
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:47:30 GMT
Hi!

Actually I am not familiar with JSP. Correct me if I was wrong.

Sean Han wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> One of the reasons that separate web applications into
> JSP and servlet is that people like script writers,
> who don't know Java at all but be good at artistic
> design, can do the JSP pages easily. I think writing a
> JSP page should be as easy as writing an ASP page. All
> you need to know are those components(Bean in JSP
> terminology) and their properties, methods and events.
>
> But things are not as ideal as I expect. Here I got
> some problems I found in JSP. Maybe you guys can help
> me out.
>
> 1. In JSP, although there are <jsp:getProperty> and
> <jsp:setProperty> tags available for properties
> accessing, you cannot use them to access an indexed
> property.

You should able to get/set an object. An Array is also an object and thus you
can achieve what you want.
jsp:get/setProperty comes from HttpSession, right?

> 2. There are not simple flow-control tags, like loop
> or while, in standard JSP tags.

I agree. Although we can have <% if { %> for if tag, <% } %> for endif tag, it
would be better to have something like <jspIf></jspIf>, <jspWhile
...></jspWhile> for easy script writing.

> 3. Visual tools is not readily available.

I agree! and the error message cannot be easily understandable without viewing
the generated servlet source file