tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alex Chaffee <g...@edamame.stinky.com>
Subject Re: war files and directories
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 16:52:26 GMT
On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 05:29:22PM -0400, Brian Gordon wrote:
> Thanks,
>     I'll try that. However, when I want to deploy, how do I create a war file?
> And just what does it DO anyway?
>
> Brian

You create it with the jar tool, it's a jar file, just with a
different extension.  The purpose is cross-server deployment -- in
theory, you jar up your whole application, and copy it to the new
server, and poof! it's deployed.

Unfortunately, it's not quite so simple in the current Tomcat; I
advise avoiding WARs until they clean up the deployment
process. Basically, to deploy a WAR, you have to:

1. make an entry in server.xml

2. copy foo.war to TOMCAT/webapps/

3. delete existing directory TOMCAT/webapps/foo/

4. restart Tomcat