tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Delhanty" <Paul.Delha...@ukgateway.net>
Subject How much RAM per virtual host / JVM using Tomcat 3.1?
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:14:14 GMT
I'm currently setting up a small webserver using Red Hat Linux 6.1 (which comes with its own
version of Apache 1.3.9) and Tomcat 3.1.  I would like to host several small to medium traffic
JSP/servlets enabled sites, using Apache name based virtual hosting, and Tomcat 3.1.  Reading
through the "Minimalistic User's Guide" I can see that the Tomcat approach is a bit different
to jserv - each virtual host communicates via ajpv12 using a dedicated port to a dedicated
JVM.  The text then admits that this is a "huge scalability question".

Does anyone have any experience with how much RAM should be specified per virtual host / JVM
using Tomcat 3.1 ?  Currently I am using an HP Brio 400 Microtower, with a Celeron 500, 9GB
disk and 64 MB RAM.  I really need to know whether expecting to host about 5 Tomcat 3.1 based
sites on such a machine is sensible.

Also, I'd be interested to know whether anyone has any experience of a sensible initial heap
size for each JVM.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul Delhanty
Syntuition Ltd