tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yun Sang Jung" <navi...@channeli.net>
Subject Some Performance Tuning Issue in Tomcat
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:43:06 GMT
Hi.. all,

If my app is forced to use large amount of memory, IBM recommended to enlarge JVM heap size
for high performance. -> "if you wish to set the Java heap size to 64MB, specify '-ms 64m
-mx 64m' on the command line. By doing this, performance may be increased since the initial
heap size is large enough such that heap expansion does not have to be performed in small
increments up to the working set of the application. "

Q1.Can I apply this heap size configuration into Tomcat? Is tomcat.sh file a right point to
apply this configuration?

I used Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 RC4 & Tomcat 3.2 dev in Linux box. As long as others say, IBM
JVM is faster than Blackdown's one.

Q2. How can I use IBM JVM instead of Blackdown's one? Is it enough only to download IBM JDK
1.1.8 or 1.3 beta from IBM site and to change JAVA_HOME variable?

Jung