tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oki DZ <>
Subject Tomcat standalone
Date Tue, 30 May 2000 05:35:16 GMT

I'm new to this list and I'd like to run standalone Tomcat (desperately),
but I have the following problem when I issued bin/
bdg:/var/downloads/apache/jakarta-tomcat# ./
Buildfile: build.xml
Project base dir set to: /var/downloads/apache/jakarta-tomcat
Executing Target: init
Executing Target: prepare
Executing Target: tomcat
Compiling 142 source files to /var/downloads/apache/build/tomcat/classes
Interface org.apache.jasper.compiler.PrivilegedAction of local class
doInit (org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler. 1$doInit) not found.
        class doInit implements PrivilegedAction {
Undefined variable or class name: AccessController
        Boolean res = (Boolean)AccessController.doPrivileged(di);

I have no problem with Ant, the Tools, and the servlet API.
I use Sun's Jaxp 1.0.1 and JDK 1.1.8. The Tomcat's version is
nightly-build. Do I need to have JDK 1.2.x?

Does anyone use IBM's JDK 1.2.x? How is it compared to Sun's in terms of
compile-time and running speed? How do their JITs perform?

Thanks in advance,
ps: now I know the meaning of "dynamite!!" :-)
pps: I use Debian Linux; when the things get down to tarballs, apt-get
looks more and more wonderful. And an inquiring mind wants to know: why do
people distribute software using tarballs...?

View raw message