tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Patrick Lacson" <plac...@ibuyline.com>
Subject RE: System.err?
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 17:18:12 GMT
Thanks!  I just ran the startup.sh as startup.sh >> logfile (this only
handled System.out - thanks for the tip in handling the system.err as well!)

-P

-----Original Message-----
From: kc.baltz [mailto:kc.baltz@inforonics.com]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 5:17 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: System.err?

> From linux (Redhat 6.1) when I run the startup.sh script I
> receive all the Standard Out/Err messges on the console.. Is
> there a way to save these messages or rather append these
> messages to a log?

Yes, put 2>&1 >logfile after the line in the tomcat.sh script that handles
"start".  It should look something like this:

if [ "$1" = "start" ] ; then
  shift
  echo Using classpath: ${CLASSPATH}
  $JAVACMD $TOMCAT_OPTS -Dtomcat.home=${TOMCAT_HOME}
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat "$@" 2>1 > logfile &
#   $JAVACMD org.apache.tomcat.shell.Startup "$@" &

2>&1 merges stderr with stdout and > logfile puts both into a file called
"logfile".

HTH,
K.C.