tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Dowling" <mich...@e-acumen.com>
Subject Wierd bug? InvalidStateException
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 23:24:35 GMT
Hey all --

I'm encountering some strangeness with a JSP page.  We have a page that
contains, basically, the following code:

<%@ page import="
java.io.*,
java.text.*,
java.util.*,
com.eacumen.utils.*,
" %>

<%
Plotter plotter = new Plotter();
%>

[... a bunch of HTML and whatnot ...]

Once Plotter is instantiated, this exception is thrown:

Error: 500

Location: /acupower/load/forecast_table.jsp

Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Response has already been committed
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.HttpServletResponseFacade.sendError(HttpServletRespon
seFacade.java:157)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.unknownException(JspServlet.java:299)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:377)
        at
        at
        at
(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
        at
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

Plotter's constructor contains this code (only).  Note that the ORB
instantiation has been commented out:

       public Plotter () {
//         getOrbConnection();
           graph = null;
        }

(graph is a connection to a CORBA orb).

If, in the JSP page, Plotter plotter = new Plotter() is commented out, the
exception goes bye bye.  In fact, sometimes, with the code in, it doesn't
flag an error.

Anyone know what this is, or have seen it before?  I am *very* confused...
At first, I thought the page buffer= could have been increased, but Plotter
doesn't send anything out...

We're using Tomcat 3.1 on RedHat Linux 6.0, with apache 1.3.12 & mod_jserv.

thanks, mdd

Michael D. Dowling <michael@e-acumen.com>
V.P., Technology
e-Acumen.com, Inc.