tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin Jones" <kev...@develop.com>
Subject Apache and Tomcat
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 12:52:43 GMT
Hmmm...

I'm trying to get Apache to start Tomcat with mixed success. I'm running
Windows 2000, Apache 1.3.12 and the Tomcat 22nd May binaries and I've
updated the tomcat.conf and tomcat.properties as per the FAQ.

If I run Apache from the command line then I get this exception
java.net.SocketException: create (code=10106)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketCreate(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.create(PlainSocketImpl.java:70)
    at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:166)
    at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:121)
    at
org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServerS
ocketFactory.java:97)
    at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java
:223)
    at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector.start(PoolTcpConnector.java:171)
    at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(ContextManager.java:388)
    at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:199)
    at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:205)

which repeats as Apache tries to connect to Tomcat!

If I run Apache as a service then I can see it start (in Task Manager) and I
see a java VM start. I can then see static pages, I can also browse to any
previously compiled jsp. However if I browse to a jsp that hasn't been
compiled I get an internal server error, BUT nothing shows up in error.log.
At one point I was getting an error telling me that the java compiler
couldn't be found. I've tried adding tools.jar to the [system] classpath and
to the tomcat.properties file but still no luck.

If I look in Tomcat's work directory I see the .java files but not the class
files, so I guess that the compiler isn't being found.

What am I missing here?

BTW it all works if I start Tomcat manually!

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com