tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kowshik.Pod...@ubsw.com
Subject RE: Re: tomcat.conf vs. tomcat-apache.conf confusion
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 16:13:26 GMT

Relative paths in apache configs are relative to your apache server
root, but absolute paths are fine if you're not sure. From what I can
tell, tomcat generates tomcat-apache.conf from the context information
in server.xml - giving the paths and mappings to all the contexts.

The simplest way to stop tomcat-apache.conf being overwritten, once you
have saved it with the right settings, is to remove write permissions
to the file. This should just generate the relevant exception when
Tomcat is started, without stopping it from running. At least, this is
what I currently do on my setup, to stop the lines for getting cocoon
to handle xml files from getting overwritten.

However, for the most part the autogenerated stuff is pretty good. A
nice setting is the home attribute for the ContextManager tag in the
server.xml file, in case you want to keep your webapps somewhere other
than under the Tomcat base directory, ensuring that the auto-generated
tomcat-apache.conf paths are correct first-time, without you having to
manually change them.

Also, to save messing around with the permissions on
tomcat-apache.conf, you could just move the LoadModule into your apache
server's httpd.conf (with your absolute path to mod_jserv), since it is
just the Include directive in that file which reads tomcat-apache.conf
in the first place. There'll be no need to worry about that being
overwritten then.

Anybody out there played around with the logging and set it up for
individual contexts? I need to look at that.

related financial instruments.