tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yu, Calvin" <...@verticalone.com>
Subject RE: unix/NT question (newbie)
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 11:30:28 GMT
The problem is you're using something from the AWT libraries
(java.awt.Toolkit) without an X server.  You have two options:

Don't use the Toolkit, or run Xvfb, which more or less emulates an X server.

Calvin

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Davison [mailto:davisons@maxim-it.com]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 3:01 PM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: unix/NT question (newbie)

Hi!

I am a newbie to this list, but have a question....

I am running tomcat on a sun linux box, and when running the browser on
a NT box, I get a really odd error.  The page that I am viewing is
trying to open up another browser window, via window.open, and I get
this stack trace:

Error: 500
Location: /mentor/servlet/MClient
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0'
as
the value of the DISPLAY variable.
 at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
 at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:58)
 at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnviron
ment
.java:59)
 at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.(MToolkit.java:56)
 at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:495)
 at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:488)
 at com.cadtrain.mentor.client.MDisplayInfo.(MDisplayInfo.java:107)
 at
com.cadtrain.mentor.client.MClient.doDisplayAssessment(MClient.java:1550
)
 at
com.cadtrain.mentor.client.MClient.doDisplayQuestion(MClient.java:690)
 at com.cadtrain.mentor.client.MClient.doPost(MClient.java:314)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:
503)
 at
 at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(H
ttpC
onnectionHandler.java:160)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java
:338
)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

I can't understand why it would be trying to open the window on the
linux side of it, rather than the NT side...

Any ideas, or has anyone seen this before?

Thanks a lot!

--Scott Davison

Senior Software Developer
Maxim I/T