tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hochede Francois <fhoch...@atos-group.com>
Subject RE: Servlets vs JavaBeans
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 13:09:23 GMT

JavaBeans are in-process components. They are different from Enterprise
JavaBeans (EJB) which are server components used in an EJB container which
is itself inside an Application Server (such as BEA Weblogic, IBM Websphere,
Enhydra, etc...).
If you're talking of Javabeans (and not EJB), then well... They're not
servlets too. They are java software component which follows some rules of
developpement. These rules standardize the access to the properties of an
object, the way events are managed between Javabeans, and the fact that a
JavaBean has to be manageable through some kind of graphic development
environment... Many Javabeans are graphic components (such as a combobox, a
textarea...) but it's not mandatory.
On the other side, Servlet are java server applications. They do not have
there own graphical interface. They are commonly used for Query/Response
protocol (but its not mandatory too!) and they are often used through HTTP
(not mandatory again...). A servlet run inside a "servlet engine" (like
Tomcat, Jserv, Jrun, ServletExec...) which take care of the lifecycle of a
servlet and provide some functionnalities which help to develop a server
application (session management, multi-user management, etc...).

to go further :
A JavaBean Tutorial :
http://java.sun.com/beans/docs/javaBeansTutorial-Nov97/javabeans/index.html
A Servlet Tutorial :