tomcat-users mailing list archives

From shac...@il.ibm.com
Subject Re: FW: Tomcat redirector conflict with Frontpage extensions (was Re: NT service for Tomcat appears to break FrontPage Extensions)
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 09:09:58 GMT

 Ed,

The latest Emails that you sent explains what happens ... Here it is:

1. The frontpage IIS extension is located under the URI
  /hotdev/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.dll
    So when frontpage wants to work with this extension it will issue a
request with this
    URI.

2. You configured the ISAPI redirector with the rule :
    /hotdev/*=ajp12
    This rule instructs the redirector to redirect all requests prefixed
with /hotdev/
    to Tomcat and since /hotdev/_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.dll is prefixed
with
    /hotdev/, the redirector will forward it to Tomcat and then it will
fail.

There are two ways to solve this problem:

1. Modify the frontpage configuration (but you are not going to do that
...)
2. Name your context as something other then /hotdev (say /hot) and write
your
  redirector rule as /hot/*=ajp12
3. Use the redirector's fine tuning capabilities (and you already started
   do that...)

> Gal,
>    If I do something like this, which is desirable, then FrontPage
> still works.  Unfortunately, I can not get my servlets to launch like
this -
> I get 404s.
> If I invert the commented lines, then my servlets work but FrontPage does
> not.
>
> With the advanced configuration, I can't figure out what my servlet
mappings
> need to be.
>
> /hotdev/*.jsp=ajp12
> /hotdev/*.htms=ajp12
> /hotdev/servlet/*=ajp12
> # /hotdev/*=ajp12

These 3 lines say the following:

/hotdev/*.jsp=ajp12 - anything with the suffix jsp goes to Tomcat
/hotdev/*.htms=ajp12 - anything with the suffix htms goes to Tomcat
/hotdev/servlet/*=ajp12 - anything with the prefix /hotdev/servlet/ goes to
Tomcat

If you need something else (say you have a servlet whose uri is
/hotdev/myservlet)
then you can add a rule such as:

/hotdev/myservlet=ajp12 - a request with the uri /hotdev/myservlet goes to
Tomcat
                    but then a request with path info will not work for
you.
or
/hotdev/myservlet/*=ajp12 - anything with the prefix /hotdev/servlet/ goes
to Tomcat
                     and then a request with path info will work.

Hope it helps,

     Gal Shachor