tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Viehl Clemens <c.vi...@syborg.de>
Subject RE: Documentation
Date Wed, 10 May 2000 06:54:49 GMT
> I think so although since I'm quite sure that my JAVA_HOME
> varible is messed
> up I won't say for sure. What else wouldn't work if my
> TOMCAT_HOME variable
> isn't set? 'tomcat start; and tomcat stop' works fine. And
> sorry was reading
> from someone else email. But startup and shutdown doesn't work for me.
They should work if your environment is set up rigth.
TOMCAT_HOME should be set to the installation directory of Tomcat.

Read the user-guide carefully, perhaps you have missed a simple thing.

<user_guide>
How Do I Install the Binary Version of Tomcat?
Very simple. You should:

Download the zip/tar.gz/whatever file from
http://jakarta.apache.org/downloads/binindex.html.
Unzip the file into some directory (say foo). This should create a new
subdirectory named "tomcat".
Change directory to "tomcat" and set a new environment variable
(TOMCAT_HOME) to point to the root directory of your Tomcat hierarchy.
On Win32 you should type:
"set TOMCAT_HOME=foo\tomcat"
On UNIX you should type:
for bash/sh "TOMCAT_HOME=foo/tomcat ; export TOMCAT_HOME"
for tcsh "setenv TOMCAT_HOME foo/tomcat"
Set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to point to the root directory of
your JDK hierarchy, then add the Java interpreter to your PATH environment
variable.
That's it! You can now execute Tomcat and it will run as a stand-alone (type
1) servlet container.
Starting and Stopping Tomcat
You start and stop Tomcat using the scripts in the bin directory.

To start Tomcat execute:

On UNIX: bin/startup.sh

On Win32: bin\startup

To stop Tomcat execute:

On UNIX: bin/shutdown.sh

On Win32: bin\shutdown
</user_guide>

Works very easy if you follow these steps.
Please note that default sever.xml has Port 8080 for the Webserver.

Regards

Clemens Viehl