tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Mattix <mat...@maxim-it.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat installation on NT
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 08:21:21 GMT
Have you added the servlets to the web.xml file?

--Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: John P. Donaldson [mailto:johnpdonaldson@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 1:36 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat installation on NT

I wrestled with a Tomcat 3.1 installation on NT for a
long time with no success.  It basically wouldn't
start, until I decided to downgrade my JDK from 1.3 to
1.2.2.  Now Tomcat seems a bit happier and even
appears to start.  However, I can't seem to have
Apache serve up any servlets or JSPs.  Here's how I
get things up and running:

1.  I first start Tomcat at the command line and it
returns a bunch of lines, mostly saying "Context log:
path="" Adding context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT",
etc. and reports no errors.

2.  I then start Apache, which reports: "Apache/1.3.12
(Win32) tomcat/1.0 running ...

3.  I then try to load a servlet or JSP and it gives
me the old 404 error.

I can verify that Apache is working because it will
serve up HTML files fine from Apache's "htdocs"
directory.  How can I determine if Tomcat is working
properly?  Where to I put the servlets?  I've tried
putting them in the /servlets diretory inside the
/apache directory, but that doesn't work either.  I
even tried putting a servlet and JSP inside Apache's
htdocs directory with no success.  I don't have Tomcat
installed inside the Apache directory, does that make
a difference? (Apache is installed at D:\apache and
Tomcat is installed at D:\tomcat).  Tomcat and Apache
seem to start okay and I've checked all logs and none
seem to report any classpath or other related errors.
The Tomcat user's manual didn't really cover where we
should keep servlets and JSP pages.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
johnpdonaldson@yahoo.com