tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alistair Hopkins <alist...@berthengron.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to setup login based security?
Date Tue, 30 May 2000 14:46:38 GMT
Why not write an abstract servlet which checks this

<code>
public abstract class SecureServlet
extends HttpServlet
</code>

where the service method checks the session before calling the normal
service methods

<code>
HttpSession hs = request.getSession(false);
if ( hs == null )
  {
             tell them to log in here
  } else
{
         super(service);
}
</code>.

you can then handle URL hacks/timeouts/etc centrally, and make new secure
servlets by extending the SecureServlet

<code>
public abstract class WhicheverServlet
extends SecureServlet
</code>

i'm doing something like this, but also managing DenialofService
prevention, db connection pools, etc from the abstract servlet.

Also means that as there is no chaining, etc, etc, then it will work as is
on any servlet engine and won't fall foul of changing specs.