tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Barbara Nelson <bnel...@extricity.com>
Subject RE: question about contexts
Date Fri, 26 May 2000 00:26:22 GMT
Is this a bug?  (Bugzilla is down, or I'd check it myself).  Is there a way
to configure a context whose docBase is not in a subdirectory of where
Tomcat is running, without using an absolute path?  We'd like to have
something like

<Context path="/MyCompany/MyProduct/Web" docBase="../../MyProduct/Web"

but when we configure Tomcat that way, it loads the .jsps but fails to load
the .gifs or .html files.

Thanks,
Barbara Nelson.

P.S. We are running Tomcat 3.1 final on Solaris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cristian Bogdan [mailto:cristianbogdan@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 9:28 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: question about contexts

hello

--- Luis Andrei Cobo <valis@megapathdsl.com> wrote:
> does the document root for context HAVE to be in
> webapps?

this might not be helpful for you (serving html and
jsp by apache and tomcat respectively) but I have
noticed the following:

<Context path="/somepath"
docBase="somedir/public_html" debug="0"
reloadable="true" >

works with no problems, even if "somepath" is "" (i.e.
the root)

but

<Context path="/somepath"
docBase="../somedir/public_html" debug="0"
reloadable="true" >

(i.e. if the files are not under TOMCAT_HOME) the html
files are "404 not found" for tomcat. JSPs in
somepath/ work with no problems though.

furthermore, if "somepath/" is "", tomcat can't serve
any html whatsoever.

I think the above are bugs (I'm on win95, jdk 1.1.8).

btw, should bugs be sent to tomcat-dev or to
tomcat-user?

thanks

cristi