tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hugh O'Brien" <hu...@intelis.com>
Subject Re: servlet invoking
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 19:06:46 GMT
"kc.baltz" wrote:

> > Alright,
> >
> > I am ready for guess number 3 K.C.  BTW, the Context is /MinuteMakers
> >
> > -- Hugh
> >

> OK, let's start with some assumptions.
> 1) You do have the Context for MinuteMakers set up in the server.xml file in
> your $TOMCAT_HOME/conf directory, right?  And it looks something like the
> following:
>
> <Context path="/MinuteMakers" docBase="webapps/MinuteMakers" debug="0"
> reloadable="true" >        </Context>
>
> The docbase should point to the actual file system location of the directory
> that contains your WEB-INF directory for your MinuteMakers web app.
>
> 2) You have the web.xml we have been discussing in WEB-INF/web.xml.
>
> 3) You have ValidateSignupLogin.class in
> WEB-INF/classes/com/intelis/webfe/servlets/signup .  If you have your that
> class in a .jar file, the jar file should be in WEB-INF/lib, should contain
> a path starting with com to the class, and you should be running the release
> version of Tomcat 3.1 (there was a bug with the /lib directory in older
> versions).
>
> 4) Your web.xml file looks like the following:
>
>  <servlet>
>    <servlet-name>ValidateSignupLogin</servlet-name>
>
> <servlet-class>com.intelis.webfe.servlets.signup.ValidateSignupLogin</servle
> t-class>
>    <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
>  </servlet>
>
>  <servlet-mapping>
>    <servlet-name>ValidateSignupLogin</servlet-name>
>    <url-pattern>/ValidateSignupLogin</url-pattern>
>  </servlet-mapping>
>
> BTW, I have recently discovered that all <servlet> tags should before any
> <servlet-mapping> tag. Don't intermix them.
>
> 5) Your form has action="/MinuteMakers/ValidateSignupLogin" .
>
> 6) You're testing this by going straight to Tomcat at port 8080, not through
> Apache.  Going through Apache _should_ work, but it introduces more places
> for configuration error.  You can test the Context set up by hitting
> http://yourhost/MinuteMakers/  directly. If you haven't set up a default
> index.html, you should get a directory listing of the docbase of your
> Context.
>
> 7) You're checking the stdout of your Tomcat process for any helpful stack
> dumps.
>
> That's all my guesses.  Hope that gets it.
>
> K.C.

Yes, every assumption you made is correct about my setup and yet it still gives
me:

Error: 503

Location: /MinuteMakers/ValidateSignupLogin

I have looked for spelling errors until I am blue in the face.   Also, under
the /MinuteMakers context I can see all of my html and jsp pages just fine.
There are no reported errors in the logs or in the terminal window I start and
stop Tomcat in.  I know you didn't want to hear that !    q?;^)=

-- Hugh