tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hank Fisher <fish...@ucar.edu>
Subject Re: JSP engine fails when trying to compile java / Apache /Tomcat / Unix
Date Wed, 24 May 2000 22:19:03 GMT

	I encountered that error and those like it frequently when I first installed
tomcat.  There are 2 reasons that I got that error...

1.  I didn't have TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME setup correctly
2.  I didn't have the correct read/write permissions on all of my files i.e. I
created the jakarta-tomcat directory as userX and started the shell script as
"nobody"

	Hope this helps.

Hank

> Thanks, Steve, for your advice. Most kind.
>
> I did what you suggested and it falls over in a different way now!
> Now when I try to go to one of the example jsp pages in my browser, I get:
>
> 1. Blank screen on the browser and it hangs, apparently, for ever.
>
> 2. The following message on the Unix terminal from which I started tomcat:
>
> HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM: java.io.IOException: Stream broken
> java.io.IOException: Stream broken
>         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at java.io.IOException.<init>(Compiled Code)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.AJP12RequestAdapter.readNextRequest(Compiled
Code)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Compiled
Code)
>         at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(Compiled Code)
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
>
> 3. The following in jasper.log:
>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:24:59 GMT+01:00 2000 Parent class loader is: org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader@1da653e7</JASPER_LOG>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:24:59 GMT+01:00 2000 Scratch dir for the JSP engine
is: /opt/local/jakarta-tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2fexamples</JASPER_LOG>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:24:59 GMT+01:00 2000 IMPORTANT: Do not modify the generated
servlets</JASPER_LOG>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:25:00 GMT+01:00 2000 Parent class loader is: org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader@1da646c6</JASPER_LOG>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:25:01 GMT+01:00 2000 Parent class loader is: org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader@1da63dd0</JASPER_LOG>
> <JASPER_LOG> Wed May 24 12:25:02 GMT+01:00 2000 Parent class loader is: org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader@1da651db</JASPER_LOG>