tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rick Horowitz <rhorow...@ni4u.com>
Subject Re: Can't build tomcat3.1 sample with ANT
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 17:58:15 GMT
Still can't get compile to work with ANT.  Here's what I did:

1) Downloaded tomcat522 nightly build and installed into d:, making
d:\tomcat the top-level directory.
2) Tried running the sample build.bat file in
%TOMCAT_HOME%\doc\appdev\sample with the command:  build -verbose
prepare.  It failed with a class not found exception,

org/w3c/dom/Node
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java)

...so I copied the two xml jar files from the latest Javasoft xml
release (jaxp.jar and parser.jar) to %TOMCAT_HOME%\lib.
3) This fixed the above problem (class not found), but failed with the
following exception:

:
:
Executing Target: prepare
Created dir: D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp
Copying 3 files to D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp
Copy: D:\tomcat\doc\appdev\sample\web\hello.jsp >
D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\hello.jsp
Copy: D:\tomcat\doc\appdev\sample\web\index.html >
D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\index.html
Copy: D:\tomcat\doc\appdev\sample\web\images\tomcat.gif >
D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\images\tomcat.gif
Created dir: D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF
Copy: D:\tomcat\doc\appdev\sample\etc\web.xml >
D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\web.xml
Created dir: D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\classes
Created dir: D:\tomcat\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\lib
BUILD FATAL ERROR: srcdir does not exist!
org.apache.tools.ant.BuildException: srcdir does not exist!
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Copydir.execute(Copydir.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.runTarget(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java)

4) I created the directory d:\tomcat\doc\appdev\sample\lib, which is the
directory that it could not found, and that fixed this problem, and the
"prepare" target seems to work ok.
5) Then tried to run:  build -verbose compile.  Again, just like with
the tomcat 3.1 release, this command runs to completion, says it
compiled 1 file (which should be the
%TOMCAT_HOME%\appdev\sample\src\Hello.java file), but it doesn't appear
to have actually compiled anything.  Hello.class is not deposited into
the webapps\WEB_INFO\classes directory.

Any idea what's going on here?  Has anyone successfully compiled the
tomcat sample?  I'm running on NT 4.0 sp5, with jdk1.3.

Help! Thanks...

Rick Horowitz