tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ritesh Kumar <rite...@blr.aptech.ac.in>
Subject Modified Servlet not getting loaded... did some R&D
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 11:28:23 GMT
Hi,

I had written yesterday regarding this. Now some more query after doing below
R&D:

Problem: Servlet classes are not getting reloaded

R&D Done: When a Servlet java file is recompiled after the changes the new class
file is not being reloaded by the servlet engine. We have used a decompiler to
check if the changes are reflected in the .class files and yes changes are
reflected.We also deleted the .class file but tomcat still gives the output.
This means that tomcat stores the .class files in its cache memory.

We have carried out the following conf. settings as suggested.

1. Changes in the conf/server.xml:
<Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true" >
</Context>

Context for /test and /examples is basically the same.

2. We have blocked the direct access to WEB_INF directory by changing the
tomcat-apache.conf including
    ApJServMount /Shop /root
  <Location /Shop/WEB-INF/>
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all
  </Location>

This ensures that this directory is served by Apache via Tomcat. Apache sends
the requests to this directory to
Tomcat rather than serve the directory directly.

Looking for solution

It should not be necessary to restart a development server, much less a
production server, in order to modify a single servlet on a site.So,

1. Is there any other conf setting to be done?
2. Is there any way of clearing the cache of tomcat where it keeps the .class
files.
3. Is there any manual way of reloading the servlets.
4. Is there a patch for tomcat to do the job?

Regards,
Ritesh Kumar.