tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Introspection error with JDK 1.3
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 16:49:08 GMT
Steve Haines wrote:

> I am having a problem with introspection and the JDK v1.3.  I have a custom
> tag library definition file (TLD) that I am using with my JSP page that uses
> Introspection and when I try to run it I get the following error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Can't find a method to write property
> 'class' in a bean of type 'com.mypackage.MyPropertyTag'
>
> This works fine running under version 1.2.2 of the JDK, but one post I saw
> in the archives said that introspection has changed with v1.3.. Has anyone
> encountered this problem?? Any ideas on how to solve it?? Work around??

I'm surprised this even worked for you in JDK 1.2.2 -- I was doing something
similar (trying to use a property named "class") and ran into all sorts of wierd
problems when moving from JDK 1.1.x to JDK 1.2.x.  Nowdays, I think of "class"
as a reserved property name, and use something different for my beans.

> I found that if I add a "setClass( Class myClass )" method to my tag handler
> I get an "argument type mismatch" error (at least it is something new :)),
> but I cannot find where in the JDK it specifies the setClass() method to get
> its prototype..

If there really was such a thing, it would mean you'd be changing the Class of
an object at runtime.  Doesn't seem too likely that this is possible ... :-)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Craig McClanahan