tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <>
Subject Re: JDBC & Tomcat / JAR's
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 16:07:22 GMT
Jason & Golda Hoffman wrote:

> I tried it, as well as unpacking the zip file and repacking it as a jar.  I
> ended up unziping the directory structure and moving it into the classes
> directory under the webapp.  That worked.
> It was almost as if the webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory was not really in the
> CLASSPATH. ( Tomcat 3.1 )

Just to nit-pick, the WEB-INF/lib directory itself is *not* put in the class
path, but individual JAR files (not ZIP files) within the directory *are* put in
the class path.  The WEB-INF/classes directory as a whole (for classes that are
not archived) is also added.

These rules are based on the requirements of the servlet spec (version 2.2), and
are portable to all conforming servlet containers.

Craig McClanahan

View raw message