tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <>
Subject Re: Still no luck
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 00:36:30 GMT
Luis Andrei Cobo wrote:

> although someone offered a suggestion to my problem of having
> System.err.println show up on my screen, there is no mechanism right now
> thats accomplishing this, and the suggestion $TOMCAT_HOME; ./ >
> log 2>&1 did not work....ran the command and nothing happened at all, just
> got another prompt...

I think it has to go the other way around:

    ./bin/ 2>&1 > logfile

and you should get both standard error and standard output logged to
$TOMCAT_HOME/logfile.  Check to see if there's an error message in the logfile
itself if all you get is a prompt.

If you don't do any redirection, both standard error and standard output really
do go to your console window.

Craig McClanahan

View raw message