tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "kc.baltz" <kc.ba...@inforonics.com>
Subject RE: servlet invoking
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 18:54:57 GMT
> Alright,
>
> I am ready for guess number 3 K.C.  BTW, the Context is /MinuteMakers
>
> -- Hugh

OK, let's start with some assumptions.
1) You do have the Context for MinuteMakers set up in the server.xml file in
your $TOMCAT_HOME/conf directory, right?  And it looks something like the
following:

<Context path="/MinuteMakers" docBase="webapps/MinuteMakers" debug="0"
reloadable="true" >        </Context>

The docbase should point to the actual file system location of the directory
that contains your WEB-INF directory for your MinuteMakers web app.

2) You have the web.xml we have been discussing in WEB-INF/web.xml.

3) You have ValidateSignupLogin.class in
WEB-INF/classes/com/intelis/webfe/servlets/signup .  If you have your that
class in a .jar file, the jar file should be in WEB-INF/lib, should contain
a path starting with com to the class, and you should be running the release
version of Tomcat 3.1 (there was a bug with the /lib directory in older
versions).

4) Your web.xml file looks like the following:

 <servlet>
   <servlet-name>ValidateSignupLogin</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.intelis.webfe.servlets.signup.ValidateSignupLogin</servle
t-class>
   <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
 </servlet>

 <servlet-mapping>
   <servlet-name>ValidateSignupLogin</servlet-name>
   <url-pattern>/ValidateSignupLogin</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

BTW, I have recently discovered that all <servlet> tags should before any
<servlet-mapping> tag. Don't intermix them.

5) Your form has action="/MinuteMakers/ValidateSignupLogin" .

6) You're testing this by going straight to Tomcat at port 8080, not through
Apache.  Going through Apache _should_ work, but it introduces more places
for configuration error.  You can test the Context set up by hitting
http://yourhost/MinuteMakers/  directly. If you haven't set up a default
index.html, you should get a directory listing of the docbase of your
Context.

7) You're checking the stdout of your Tomcat process for any helpful stack
dumps.

That's all my guesses.  Hope that gets it.

K.C.