tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dunkle, Ed" <Ed.Dun...@ameriserve.com>
Subject RE: Applet, xml
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 15:16:17 GMT
Another approach would be to write a servlet (that's what Tomcat is for)
that accesses the database wherever it is and sends the data to the applet
over an HTTP connection.  That's really not very complicated.  Any book on
servlets should cover this.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Mack [mailto:cmack@spcie.de]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 5:32 AM
To: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Applet, xml

Hi Eric

You can use DB Connections, but the DB has to be on the same Server as the
Webserver serving this Applet.
This is due to the Sandbox restrictions of Applets.

If you need to use another server for the DB, you have to move the Applet
into a signed *.jar and a *.cab File.
The certificate used mus be a SignerAuthority known to IE.
Also you have to add some Code to open the Sandbox for Netscape browsers.
IMHO this all isn't that easy.

Tschau
Christian