tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kukulies <k...@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Subject Re: Changes in Servlet not getting loaded
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 14:34:40 GMT
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 07:09:33PM +0530, Ritesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I put a fresh servlet under /webapps/example/WEB-INF/classes it
> works fine.
>
> But if I change .java file and compile to .class file and then try to
> use that servlet then also it picks up old .class file and not the
> updated one.
>
> Only when I restart tomcat and then apache, the new .class file is
> uploaded.
>
> Anyidea why this happens?

I'm observing this also that a class doesn't get reloaded from the
Server. I don't believe it has anything got to do
with caching of the browser. It's solely an issue of the class reloading
mechanism of Tomcat. When you start Tomcat under Unix (Linux, FreeBSD in my
case) from an xterm you can watch a RELOAD! message appearing everytim
a class gets reloaded. When this message does not occur and I know I have
changed something I start a script that shuts down tomcat and apache
and restarts them.

Maybe the authors or someone familar with the code can explain how the
class reloading mechanism of Tomcat works. Maybe it looks at the size of the
file? I think, looking at the modification time would be the easiest
way to determine the reloading condition. Maybe it cannot reload when the
class  is in use. I have no idea - I'm just confirming that it happens.