tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Classpath in Tomcat
Date Fri, 05 May 2000 16:40:00 GMT
Andy Bosch <Andy_Bosch@csi.com> wrote:
> > >Hi folks,
> > >
> > >I am using Tomcat 3.1 . Because I need the package
> > >com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.* I have to use the rt.jar
> > >from the jdk1.2.2 in my classpath. But when I do this,
> > >Tomcat gets an segmentation error on startup. Without setting
> > >the classpath to rt.jar tomcat starts, but I cannot use classes
> > >out of this package (of course !!!).
> > >How can I fix this?
> > >Where are  the jdk-classes located used by Tomcat?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Andy
> > >

> > Java 2 core classes are ONLY designed to be used with Java 2 (except for
> > few exceptions like collections). That's why you get segmentation fault.
>DO
> > NOT use Java 1. Instead, change your tomcat startup.sh or startup.bat
>file
> > to run tomcat in java 2.
> >
> > --
> > Robin
> >

>Thanks, but how can I do this? In the startup.sh script there is no hint
>that
>tomcat
>uses Java 1 classes. Can you please tell me the line I have to change?

Put this line in tomcat.sh directly after the # lines. It must not be put on
the first line of the file.

JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk1.2

or whatever the name of your Java 2 directory is. This will run tomcat using
the Java 2 virtual machine, not Java 1.

Alternatively, put a file called .tomcatrc in your home directory with this
contents

#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk1.2

but this will only come into effect if you run tomcat, not if any other user
runs it.

--
Robin