tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kukulies <k...@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Subject Re: Error 404 - Location:/servlet/MyClass
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 18:55:06 GMT
On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 11:34:14AM -0700, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > I added a <Context> entry in server.xml with the purpose to
> > establish a 'more friendly' path to put my servlet development into
> > and not to have to move my servlets into places where Tomcat has
> > it's demos and other stuff.
> >
> > So I added
> > <Context path="/servlets" docBase="webapps/servlets" debug="0" reloadable="
> > true" >
> >

> OK, what you've done here is set up a new web application, with "webapps/servlets"
> as the document root directory.
>

> > correspondingly to a previous line which was already there
> > for path="/test".
> >
> > Then I put all my classes into /usr/local/build/tomcat/webapps/servlets
> > but trying to invoke
> > http://192.168.1.119/servlets/MyClass
> >
> > results in an Error 404 (coming from Tomcat). Tomcat.log
> > shows:
> >

> This is not going to work, for two different reasons.  First, you need to put your
> servlet classes under the WEB-INF/classes directory inside your webapp -- so they
> would go into:
>
>     /usr/local/build/tomcat/webapps/servlets/WEB-INF/classes
>
> Second, there is an interesting subtlety:  the location of the servlet's class file
> has absolutely nothing to do with the URL by which you access it from a browser.  By
> default, Tomcat sets up an "invoker" servlet that can access servlets you haven't
> registered in your web.xml file, so you would be able to do this:
>
>     http://192.168.1.119/servlets/servlet/MyClass
>
> or, you can set up a "web.xml" file that maps a different URL altogether to this
> servlet.  For details on this, and what kinds of things go in the WEB-INF
> subdirectory of a web application, see the Servlet API Specification (you can
> download it from <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet>).
>
> Craig McClanahan

Thanks! Thanks! And thanks again!  This was very enlightening.
Really. After a hard day I'm finally there. My Web Application - a
couple of html files and classes are running again! Gotta get me this
Servlet API. Is it probably servlet2_2-spec.pdf ? Then I have it
already. Thought all the time this WEB-INF stuff was a Tomcat
peculiarity.