tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kukulies <>
Subject Error 404 - Location:/servlet/MyClass
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 18:06:18 GMT

I added a <Context> entry in server.xml with the purpose to
establish a 'more friendly' path to put my servlet development into
and not to have to move my servlets into places where Tomcat has
it's demos and other stuff.

So I added
<Context path="/servlets" docBase="webapps/servlets" debug="0" reloadable="
true" >

correspondingly to a previous line which was already there
for path="/test".

Then I put all my classes into /usr/local/build/tomcat/webapps/servlets
but trying to invoke

results in an Error 404 (coming from Tomcat). Tomcat.log

Context log: path="/admin" Automatic context load docBase="/home/local/build/tom
Context log: path="/admin" Adding context path="/admin"  docBase="/home/local/bu
Context log: path="/servlets" File not found /home/local/build/tomcat/webapps/se
rvlets/WEB-INF/web.xml, using only defaults
Starting endpoint port="8080" handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnec
Starting endpoint port="8007" handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12
Context log: path="" Class Not Found in init
 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: MyClass
        at org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveClassLoader.loadClass(AdaptiveClassL
        at org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader.loadClass(AdaptiveServ
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet(
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.ja
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.ja
        at org.apache.tomcat.servlets.InvokerServlet.service(

Could someone explain to me what the generated
tomcat-apache.conf lines mean:

Alias /test /home/local/build/tomcat/webapps/test
<Directory "/home/local/build/tomcat/webapps/test">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
ApJServMount /test/servlet /test
<Location /test/WEB-INF/ >
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all

Alias /servlets /home/local/build/tomcat/webapps/servlets
<Directory "/home/local/build/tomcat/webapps/servlets">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
ApJServMount /servlets/servlet /servlets
<Location /servlets/WEB-INF/ >
    AllowOverride None
    deny from all

ApJServMount /servlet /ROOT