tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Petr Jiricka <petr.jiri...@netbeans.com>
Subject RE: Developing servlets on unix platform: IDE's
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 07:55:27 GMT
The current release of Forte (1.0.1) fully supports Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
specifications. To some extent it can be used for development of Servlet 2.2
and JSP 1.1 applications - you can use the code editor, HTML editor, CVS,
writing Java code etc. It does not support compilation and test run
(execution) of JSP 1.1, and it does not support syntax highlighting for
custom tags. With some effort ic can be configured to compile against
servlet.jar from Tomcat - modify a CLASSPATH for the compiler in Project ->
Settings -> Compiler Types -> whatever_compiler_type_you_are_using to
include your servlet.jar (and remove {library} from the classpath).

It can also be used for debugging of servlets and other Java classes - you
can either set up your debugger type, which includes CLASSPATH required by
Tomcat and then run the main Tomcat class in debugger (this is the usual way
it is done with most development tools), or you can start Tomcat youself in
debugging mode and do Debug -> Connect and connect to the Tomcat process.

We are working on a new version of Forte (1.1) which will be tightly
integrated with Tomcat, it will actually include Tomcat in its distribution.
This version will fully support Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1. As Sun announced
earlier, this product will be an open source project. As JavaOne conference
is usually the place where important announcements take place, I recommend
you watch all the development around Forte closely next week. My guess is
that you will be able to get a preview version of Forte 1.1 soon.

Petr