tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tom Goodman" <tom_good...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Can't debug JSP in VisualAge
Date Sun, 21 May 2000 21:55:17 GMT
I have no problem debugging servlets and even normal external class files
(using the "external .class breakpoints" menu item in the debugger), but
when I try JSP (as suggested in the links below) I get "Source not
available" in the debug window.  The debugger lets me define the points
without a hitch (by selecting the line or the method name), so at some level
it knows what munged .java file goes with the .class files (in the "work"
directory), but when it actually hits the breakpoint, it seems to have
forgotten.

After defining the breakpoint, If I click on the "breakpoints" tab in the
debugger and select the external .class, it shows me the source code with
the note "source for external class file" above it, so that's nice, but when
looking at a live thread's breakpoint in the "debug" tab, I get the "source
not available" message, so I can't step through the live code.

I've experienced the exact same problem on BOTH the linux and windows
versions!!!

Setting the source-path in the window options settings doesn't seem to help
too much.  When I set it to point to the location of the .class and .java
files, it will then display the correct file when I hit the breakpoint, but
it won't highlight the line I'm on or show me the correct local variables,
etc.

I've followed all the instructions in
http://sheldonwosnick.tripod.com/Tomcat/Tomcat31Release.html
and
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/data/document2389?OpenDocument&p=1&BCT=
1&Footer=1

I have the 3.1 tomcat and 3.0 eval version of VisualAge all downloaded
recently.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.  I'm at a dead-end and I REALLLY
want this to work!

Thank you very much

tom