tomcat-users mailing list archives

From m...@mjwilcox.com
Subject Re: Tomcat, multiple IP addresses, and virtual domains
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2000 23:05:11 GMT
I'd be suspect of this. Even if it's tomcat stand alone it's probably a
really hacked up version of Tomcat (which is ok because that's why
you got opensource).

I just don't think Tomcat is quite there yet to run stand-alone in
production. Some might even suggest that we have a ways to go to
use it as a servlet engine (e.g. stick with JServ for at least a little
while longer).

There's a lot of things Tomcat doesn't yet support (for example I've
been hacking on the Security interceptor issue all weekend & still
without much headway). Or as you've mentioned virtual hosts or
SSL or have much in the way of documentation (I mean
opensource is not a stellar example of documentation but Tomcat
has less than most). Because Tomcat must also support a lot of
the J2EE reference implementation (at least that was the last word
I heard at ApacheCon), so in the end it might not be the best
embedded Web server.

And if you're doing mostly file-IO stuff, Tomcat is probably not
going to be the best option (Java IO still blows). Apache is probably
a better fit.

Tomcat as a stand-alone makes since for certain embedded
applications or for a case where you have a Java application that
could benefit from its own Webserver.

I think Tomcat brings a lot to the table. But so does Apache and its
myriad of modules.

Being a language bigot in the end is very short-sighted. I'm
extremely fond of Perl, but I hack around with Java because it
provides some things that Perl doesn't.

Mark