tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jcoll...@point2.com (Collins, Jason)
Subject RE: Scriptlet expressions in custom JSP tags
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 21:13:10 GMT

The following URL:

  http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd

indicates the rtexprvalue tag for a custom JSP tag. Setting this to true indicates that the
particular attribute of a
JSP tag supports run-time evaluation of the value of that attribute.

It seems that this is pretty unambiguously defined in the JSP 1.1 spec. Why would it enter
into discussions of the next
spec? Or am I misunderstanding?

I can't think of a work-around, can you suggest one?

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----
From: Anil K. Vijendran [mailto:Anil.Vijendran@eng.sun.com]
Sent: April 7, 2000 2.56p
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Scriptlet expressions in custom JSP tags

Hi Jason,

I was just talking to Mandar <mandar@eng.sun.com> who's trying to fix it. You have run
into an
interesting case which the spec is not clear about. All the spec says is that an attribute
can
either be a translation-time value or a value that can be computed at request-time. What you
are
trying to do is a value that has a part in it which is an expression (or a request-time value).

I can see this might be useful. What I'd suggest you do is for now find a workaround. One
of us
can bring this up for discussion in the next version of the JSP spec.

"Collins, Jason" wrote:

> I need to use scriptlet expressions in my custom JSP tags:
>
>   <p2:a href="foo.html?pk=<%=pk.toString()%>">Link</p2:a>
>
> Is this possible? It doesn't seem to work at all. I have the following entries in my
taglib:

>   <tag>
>     <name>a</name>
>     <tagclass>com.point2.phoenix.web.tag.Anchor</tagclass>
>     <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
>     <attribute>
>         <name>href</name>
>         <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>