tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Freyr Stefansson <ste...@decode.is>
Subject RE: What's this with session in JSP?
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:40:44 GMT
oh... that's weird!

I found another errror and thought that was doing the thing... well it
was...  but I guess I've found something worth fixing... thanks alot for the
tip!

Regards
Stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bond - James D. [mailto:james007@telesoft.com]
Sent: 24. april 2000 22:36
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: What's this with session in JSP?

it's deprecated, in the Servlet 2.2 api it should be setAttribute instead
..... I think they did this so that session and context both use the same
method names ........

> Why can't I use the putValue method in session?  I've looked through all
the
> documentation from JavaSoft and I can't see that it has been deprecated...
> but everytime I try to call session.putValue(String, Object) in my JSP
page
> I get a compiler error on it telling me that it's been deprecated!
>
> I'm using JDK 1.2.2
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> Error: 500
> Location: /komodo/doLogin.jsp
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for

JSPwork\localhost_8080%2Fkomodo\_0002fdoLogin_0002ejspdoLogin_jsp_12.java:88
> : Statement not reached.
>                 	session.putValue("UserName", sUserName);
>                 	^
> Note:
work\localhost_8080%2Fkomodo\_0002fdoLogin_0002ejspdoLogin_jsp_12.java
> uses or overrides a deprecated API.  Recompile with "-deprecation" for
> details.
> 1 error, 1 warning
>
> 	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java, Compiled
> Code)
> 	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:412)
> 	at

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
> rvlet.java:147)
> 	at

org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:159)
> 	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:259)
> 	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java, Compiled
> Code)
> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:865)
> 	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java,
> Compiled Code)
> 	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:523)
> 	at

> onnectionHandler.java:146)
> 	at

org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:334
> )
>

> And here's the code that does all this (doLogin.jsp):
>
> <%
> 	String sUserName = request.getParameter("LoginName");
> 	String sPassword = request.getParameter("Password");
> 	UILogin uiLogin = new UILogin();
>
> 	if(sUserName != null || sPassword != null)
> 	{
> 		uiLogin.setUserName(sUserName);
> 		uiLogin.setPassword(sPassword);
> 	}
>
> 	UIHandler uhUIHandler = new UIHandler();
> 	int iAccessType = uhUIHandler.login(uiLogin, System.currentTimeMillis());
>
> 	session.putValue("UserName", sUserName);
> 	session.putValue("AccessType", new Integer(iAccessType));
> %>
>

> I'm stuck here... I'm new to JSP but I've been told (by the little
> documentation that I've found on this) that it should work!  I've even
tried
> to put in a <% @page session="true" %> but nothing works!
>
> I hope this isn't totally out of the topic for this mailing list, but I
> realize that this isn't exactly a Tomcat matter.  Speaking of which...
does
> anybody know about a mailing list or a news group talking about JSP
> stuff.... you know... where I could actually put silly questions like this
> on without having to be ashamed of myself ;o)
>
> Thanx,
> Stefan

James Dalrymple
Telesoft Corp.