tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adam Le" <a...@echobuzz.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat and Microsoft IE
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:43:02 GMT
Hi Steve,

I am not using any includes, just redirects.  For example... a login.jsp. A
user enters login data, the form sends the data to verify.jsp.  verify.jsp
checks for a correct user/password from the database.  If the data is good
it redirects to the next page.  If it's bad, it redirects back to the
login.jsp.

How can I use "flush" in this case? Is this only inherent in Tomcat? I have
this exact code in JavaWeb Server and it works fine for IE there.

Thanks.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: steve@bonampak.net [mailto:steve@bonampak.net]On Behalf Of Steve
Weiss
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 5:11 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat and Microsoft IE

I did notice this same behaviour with IE5- Netscape behaved fine. Here's
a description of what I *think* was my setup at the time, and how I
"fixed" it. It may or may not apply to your case.

I was including a snippet of Java code near the top of each of my JSP
pages in order to check whether a user had logged in yet. If they had
not, I re-directed them to a login page. Originally, I had named the
file containing the code snippet "checklogin.jsp" and I think I was
doing this:
  <jsp:include page="checklogin.jsp" flush="true"/>

I figured that I wanted the page to be included statically so I switched
to:
  <%@ include file="checklogin.inc" %> (I also got rid of the .jsp
extension just in case).

That seems to have done the trick. Hope it's of some help.

-Steve

Adam Le wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone have any problems running Tomcat 3.1 with the Microsoft IE4/5
> browser?  I have a web app in jsp that just doesn't act normal in IE but
> it's perfectly normal in netscape.
>
> The problem I'm seeing is:
> When one page redirects to another, I get the output of the first page +
the
> HTTP header + the output of my new page in my browser.  My url is the
> correct url of the new page. Netscape will correctly redirect to the new
> page without a hitch.  I'm not running any client side javascript or
> anything... just normal jsp pages redirecting to another jsp page.
>
> Another problem I'm having is with Tomcat configurations. I have the
> following configuration:
> Redhat Linux 6.2
> Apache 1.3.12
> Tomcat 3.1
> JDK1.2.2 RC4 - Blackdown port
> (the latest and greatest bugs)
>
> I have a web app that I move to my /home/tomcat/myapp directory.  I made
the
> ../myapp/WEB-INF and ../myapp/WEB-INF/classes directories.  I created a
> web.xml file with what I think is the appropriate servlet declarations.
My
> server.xml file points /myapp to /home/tomcat/myapp.  I can browse my jsp
> pages in http://localhost:8080/myapp just fine.  My problem is my
servlets.
> No matter what I try, I can not get
> http://localhost:8080/myapp/servlet/HelloWorld to run.  I place my
> HelloWorld.class file under the <tomcat
> home>/webapp/examples/WEB-INF/classes and it runs fine under
> http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/HelloWorld.  Can some one point me
in
> the right direction of how to set up servlets in a new context other than
> <tomcat home>/webapps/ ?
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Adam

"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than if you just
drank
gin straight from the bottle."  - Garrison Keillor