tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Coogan <Jonat...@Attachmate.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat/Apache question
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:20:15 GMT
OK, I appreciate everyone's help.  Unfortunately, I still cannot get the
example servlets working the way I want them to.  Let me be a little more
clear:

1.  I do not want Tomcat to serve up everything in the /examples context.  I
want Apache to handle the static files.  I want Tomcat to handle ONLY the
JSPs and servlets.  The directive "ApJServMount /examples /root" will not
accomplish this, as it causes Tomcat to serve up everything in /examples.
2.  The JSPs do work as I want them to.  When I go to
http://localhost/examples/jsp Apache serves up the index.html file that
links to the JSPs.  When I click on one, the request is handled by Tomcat
and the JSP runs as it should.
3.  The Servlets are not working.  When I go to
http://localhost/examples/servlets Apache serves up the index.html file as
you would expect, but when I click on one of the servlet links, Apache (not
Tomcat) returns a 404 error.  The problem is that Apache is not recognizing
the servlet URI and "forwarding" the request to Tomcat.  Instead, it is
actually looking for some static file at
http://localhost/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample.  Because "/examples" is
an alias for "/usr/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/examples", I see the following
entry in my Apache error log: "File does not exist:
/usr/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample."

It seems like this problem *must* be related to the ApJServMount directive.
I am using the default setting from my tomcat-apache.conf file so I don't
know what could be wrong, but it clearly isn't working as it should.  Does
anybody have anymore ideas?

Thanks.
-Jon Coogan