tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Viehl Clemens <c.vi...@syborg.de>
Subject RE: Tomcat for OpenVMS
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:08:05 GMT
Hi,

i haven't seen any answers to your mail, so i'll give a shot.

> 1.  Can the old Jserv work with Tomcat?  Or I need to update
> the Jserv
> adaptor in order to pass requests to Tomcat?
To the first part of this question: Why should someone integrate JServ in
Tomcat?
JServ is a Servlet-Engine (Servlet API 2.0 compliant) which needs a
webserver to work with.
Tomcat is a Standalone Webserver with Servlet Engine (Servlet API 2.2
compliant and JSP 1.1).
You can integrate Tomcat into some Webservers, but why should someone want
to integrate a Servlet-Engine into Tomcat?
Second part:
When you run Apache with Tomcat or JServ, there is an very important issue
you should know.
Both (Tomcat & JServ) have their own version of mod_jserv.
Unfotunately the Module has the same Name for both, so this is a little bit
confusing.
But Tomcat won't talk to apache with the mod_jserv from Jserv and vice
versa.

> 2.  If the old Jserv can't work with Tomcat, why?  They all
> talk ajp12, don't they?
Well, i can't explain that good, i'm no apache guru :)
They seems to use a slight different methode/protocol to talk with each
other.

> 3.  If I need to re-compile the Jserv myself on VMS, is there
> a document that can help me to get into it?
I don't know. Sure there is something. Search a bit, perhaps you are lucky.

> 4.  In Tomcat, is the "context" the same as "zone" in Jserv?
For more information about the server.xml you migth look at the server.dtd.

> 5.  Please advise any approaches to make Tomcat work on OpenVMS.

Good luck!

Regards

Clemens Viehl