tomcat-users mailing list archives

From arne.haars...@4tel.no
Subject Authentication hook?
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 07:37:38 GMT
Just some thought about authentication in case some of the developers are
listening:
It would be nice to have a general web server based authentication mechanism
with possibility to hook in a special made authentication mechanism. I may
not be explaining this very well so I will try to give an example:
In the project I am working in now we have made a portal for a low end
terminal. We do not want the user to authenticate each time the user
accesses the portal. We could use long lived cookies for this purpose but
the terminal can not handle many cookies so this cookie might be pushed out
at some time. So we need to make another terminal spesific authentication
mechanism. We also do not want to have this on each JSP page so a general
authentication mechanism which works for all the pages of a web application
would be nice. We also need to be able to hook our own special
authentication mechanism to this general mechanism.

By the way should this mail have been sent to one of the other mail lists or
somewhere else?

Best regards
Arne C. HÃ¥rseth