tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob Byron <bby...@MailAndNews.com>
Subject RE: Resin vs Tomcat
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:30:46 GMT
When JDK 1.3 is released, Tomcat’s performance will improve simply as a result
of the increased performance of the new JDK (via hotspot).  As for optimized
code, I will defer that to the Tomcat developers.  I can’t say that Resin is a
great, good or bad product since I have never used it.  But with Tomcat you do
have a lot of pluses.

Tomcat is pure Java, hence it is multi-platform.
Tomcat is open source, hence the developer community is vast and you if you
have an unresolved problem, you can fix it yourself.
Tomcat is commercial grade, hence it is available for enterprises to use.
Tomcat is free, hence the price is right.

In the end, if you really feel strongly about Resin, go for it, you can always
come back to Tomcat.  But I will stick with Tomcat and make sure my
architecture is n-tier based.  Then if performance becomes an issue, I will
simply throw hardware at the problem.