tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Does the lib directory for web applications work?
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:58:41 GMT
Colin Evans wrote:

> Hi, I'm currently trying to deploy a web application with a number of .jar
> files in WEB-INF/lib under Tomcat 3.1 release, Java 1.2.2, under Windows NT.
> When I try to access my servlets, I get a "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError"
> for classes that are located in the .jar files under my WEB-INF/lib
> directory.
>
> Does Tomcat 3.1 automagically add .jar files in the WEB-INF/lib directory to
> the classpath, or is this broken?  Has it ever worked?

It was fixed around the 3.1 beta time frame, and works for me.

Note that NoClassDefFoundError can also indicate that a class required by your
servlet class, rather than the servlet class itself, is not found.  Double
check classes that your servlet imports, to make sure they are also available.
Also, check operating system access permissions too, just to be sure they are
OK.

> Thanks
> Colin Evans

Craig McClanahan