tomcat-users mailing list archives

From matthew denner <matthew_den...@wamnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: tomcat 3.1 doesn't work on redhat linux?
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:02:19 GMT
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> John Gardner wrote:
>
> > I had the same problem, and I was only able to solve it by putting the
> > xml.jar file in the extensions directory, e.g. {JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/ext
> >
> > Don't ask my why, but it works.
> >

> The default Tomcat config works fine on my RedHat installation.
>
> Could it be a file permissions issue?  If you put a directory or JAR file on the
> class path, but the OS permissions do not allow your Java process to read it,
> that entry will be silently ignored -- unless (maybe?) you turn on verbose
> debugging of class loading.

i've moved the xml.jar that came with tomcat into my /jre/lib/ext
directory and suddenly everything works fine!  thanks john.

i suspect that something in the sax creator is using a custom
class loader?  it seems to ignore the classpath environment completely
as soon as you create a parser using
org.xml.sax.helpers.ParserFactory.makeParser
("com.sun.xml.parser.Parser")
and throws an exception!

Matt Denner                       Senior Software Engineer @ WAM!NET UK
                                                        +44 1202 208571