tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Security
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:49:24 GMT
gsemones@primary.net wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  We were a bit confused.  We know that tomcat
> is based, in part or whole, on the code from Sun.  The J2EE blueprint and sample
> application use the form-based security (or at least I think it does).

Yep, it does.

>  The
> confusion came from the fact that I thought the form-based security was implemented
> so that the example code could work.  I assumed that the example code worked
> with the sun code base, which had been donated to the apache group....  I know
> I probably don't have the family history of the code straight....  :-)

What happened is that the J2EE team took Tomcat 3.0 (with a bunch of patches that they
also contributed back) and added the missing functionality that J2EE required
themselves.  They also added all the other J2EE specific things that were required,
like transactions, JNDI lookups of the application environment, and so on.  All this
stuff is in the J2EE reference implementation which you can get from the Java Software
J2EE web site at <http://java.sun.com/j2ee>.

> Thanks,
>
> Guerry

Craig