tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Introduction document needed.
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 21:28:25 GMT
stevekang@iname.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After some struggle, I got Tomcat 3.1Beta setup on my RH6.1
>
> I was all anxious to see some default servlet/jsp page displayed the same way you see
apache server initial setup page.

I do "http://my.host.ip.address:8080/examples" or "http://my.host.ip.address:8080/test"

> My /examples directory only contains META-INF which is empty, I only see "WEB-INF" in
documents. Are they the same?

> I also want to get some "hello world" kind of tutorial to set up my first servlet/jsp
program on the server.

> I search high and low across the sites and /doc directory of tomcat with no result.
>
> It seems I have to read all the documents to become an expert in servlet before I can
write my own "hello world" program. But isn't it the norm to show people how to "hello world"
for any new software these days?

> I would really appreciate if somebody can share with me what I should do to get that
"hello world" servlet set up or point me to some useful introduction document.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve.

Try downloading the most recent nightly build of Tomcat from:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/nightly

and look at the Application Developer's Guide in directory "tomcat/doc/appdev".  It discusses
at length how to set up your own web application, and includes a sample app as a starting
point.  This document will be
included in the final 3.1 release as well.

Craig McClanahan