tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sills, David" <David.Si...@appnet.com>
Subject RE: JSP question
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:35:33 GMT
I may be wrong, but isn't that the JVM speaking? In the JSP projects I have
done, I have always had to be careful to initialize Strings to "", whatever
the engine in use. I have even gone so far as to rewrite default
constructors for data objects that would be used to pre-populate forms so
that if they weren't found in the HttpSession the default behavior after the
default constructor would be to print the String as "" and, more
importantly, report the default length as 0 (since we all know what
(null).length() gets you).

David Sills

-----Original Message-----
From: Carson McDonald [mailto:carsonm@missiondata.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 10:49 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: JSP question

I have a question about the jasper JSP implementation. Just recently we
started
a move from WebSphere to Tomcat to see if Tomcat is more stable than
WebSphere.
For the most part the code works as it did under WebSphere except for a few
things where WebSphere seems to be at fault for not following specs or just
not working. The main question is this: In WebSphere when you use a
JspWriter
if you do:

String junk = null;

<%=junk%>

You get a blank. With jasper you get "null" printed out. Is this behavior up
to the implementor of JspWriter?

TIA