tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Stacy <cst...@crystaliz.com>
Subject Re: servlet question
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:28:45 GMT
 Jeff> In JSP, you do this to use a bean
 Jeff> <%@ page import="package.beanname" %>
 Jeff> <jsp:useBean id="myBean" scope="page" class="package.beanname" />
 Jeff> then you refer to the bean as myBean and do whatever you want to with it..
 Jeff> but in a servlet, I can't get it to work properly.  I am doing an
 Jeff> import beanname;
 Jeff> but do I need something like the useBean syntax in JSP?  I am guessing that
 Jeff> is my problem, but I can't find the correct command.

Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding your question.

The jsp:useBean action element instantiates a bean, so the corresponding
JAVA code in a servlet would be a constructor call ("new" statement);
you store the bean in a variable and do like bean.getFoo("bar") on it.

When compiling your code, there are the usual package and CLASSPATH issues,
some of which have been discussed here earlier today.