tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jerry Thomas" <jerry_tho...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Passing parameters to a bean from a JSP
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:46:14 GMT
The responses that I have received on this subject have made it clear that I
have not stated my problem as clear as I should have. Let me try again...

I do understand how to pull values from a request object once an HTML page
has been submitted. What I am trying to do on my current JSP is pull data
'on the fly' to send to my bean. The current exercise is to create two
"SELECT" type objects on my FORM. The first SELECT object is populated with
the states of the United States. The second SELECT object is left blank
until the user selects a state from the first SELECT object. I would then
like to dynamically enter all of the counties for the selected state into
the 2nd SELECT object. Currently I have most of this working. The JSP draws
an HTML FORM, calls a JavaScript function that uses the JSP Java bean to
connect to my database and return a Vector object containing all of the
states, using JavaScript I populate the SELECT object and then wait for user
input. JavaScript detects the 'onChange' event associated with the SELECT
object containing the states and passes an Object containing the SELECT
object to another JavaScript function that pulls out the selected state as
selected by the user. So far so good. Here comes my problem...
I would like to pass the selected state back to my JSP Java bean to retrieve
a Vector containing the counties for the selected state. I can in fact hard
code a string that is passed back and retrieve the Vector of counties. What
I cannot figure out how to do is to pass text obtained from my HTML FORM
(like a state selected from the SELECT object)as a parameter to my Java
bean.
Is there a way to use scriptlets in a JSP to move data from variables
obtained from HTML (using JavaScript or otherwise) into a Java variable or
parameter list?