tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ryan Wilhm" <rwi...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: How to auto start tomcat on boot of NT
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 12:55:00 GMT
I tried this, and it didn't want to run. It's mysterious to me whether or
not I just wasn't hand editing the registry entrys right, or if it just
doesn't work. (The Tomcat wrapper, that is... The test provided works fine.)
Could be that I'm running on Win2K.

JSRVANY is a much better idea than the other options out there, which just
seem to execute the batch files...

At the end of the day, I just wrote a service using MS Java (GASP!!) that
invokes the Sun JVM via the System.Runtime and System.Process classes. (So,
really I'm not using the MS JVM to run Tomcat.) This gave me the most
usefulness... When Tomcat goes down, the service is reported as stopped. The
service assassins also kill the process, in the event that calling the
shutdown object provided by Apache doesn't work... So, basically, it gets
killed if Tomcat doesn't hang itself up properly, which I haven't seen this
in any of the other tomcat service wrappers. Also, the state is reported
much more accurately. (Ie, it won't say the service is running when it's
not. And it won't say that a service was killed unless it actually was. Big
downfall of just using the batch files.)

If someone fixes the jsrvany tomcat wrapper, I think that offers the most
promise, though.